Tuesday 23 February 2016

Op Shop Makeover: Boring straw to boater hat

It's been a while since I've done a hat refashion, but with my stack of rescued op shop hats reaching to the ceiling and a desire for a boater hat to call my own, a hat makeover was calling me.

I didn't take a before picture, but I'm sure you can imagine it. A plain, round crowned, broad brimmed straw sun hat, looking a little tired and dusty, blending in with all the other perfectly respectable but a dime-a-dozen straw hats.

A bit of blocking, wiring, and trimming later...


It is far from perfect, with some flaws in the straw and my quick curve cutting, but at an estimate materials cost of under $5, I'm a happy little hat wearer.


If I don't look it, it's just a reflection of how I feel about taking photos of myself.


Celebratory milkshake time!

Now to take some inspiration from these stylish boater-wearing ladies as I strut around in this during the last of the summer sun.
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. That's really cute! I love a good boater. I'm not convinced I can totally pull one off, but every summer I definitely want to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a really cute style, and now that I've started to wear it around I'm getting comfortable with it, and I think I'm rather in love!

      Delete
  2. I think it is really clever to be able to refashion a hat. This one looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Kate-Em. I do like to make use of the old hats where I can!

      Delete
  3. So charming! Would you believe it, a classic boater is one style of hat that hasn't yet made it into my chapeau wardrobe (though I do have various lovely vintage straw hats).

    Big hugs & happy tail end of February wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does seem surprising! You should definitely remedy that. I'm a big supporter of boaters now :)

      Delete
  4. Absolutely adorable charming hat!

    retro rover

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eeee! I wish I could make over hats from op shops, because this is too amazing and looks so cute on you Tanith! Love it!! :DDD ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig