Friday 25 April 2014

Mod Style Millinery with Manic Pop

Get ready for some seriously bright and bold colours. It's a grey misty day here in the blue mountains and looking at these pictures makes me feel a lot sunnier (despite the umbrella). I hope they can do the same for you.

Manic Pop dress and Tanith Rowan helmet hat

One of the goals I wanted to achieve this year was to get more social, get to know other bloggers, and do some collaborations. As I started preparing for my Hats of the Past blog series, I searched for blogs about sixties style to help me find my feet in the first focus era. Hence I met Nicole Capoccitti of Manic Pop, and before long we were working on a 1960s style collaboration. Nicole and I both loved helmet hats, so that is what I made for her.

Mod sixties felt helmet hat

After some initial brainstorming, I worked on the design and hat in secret, to be a surprise when it arrived. Nicole mentioned early on that she was into arrows at the moment, and from her own dress designs and personal style it was clear she likes bright colours. I was excited to have free reign to do something really bold and over-the-top. I spent a lot of time sketching, and kept being drawn to the arrow with rainbow colours radiating from it.

Helmet hat design sketches

The hat shape is blocked from the purple felt, with the colour panels individually cut and shaped to create the patterns. I used a thinner wool felt for the surface decoration, because I couldn't source the colours I wanted in millinery felt, but it was also easier to manipulate in this way.

Mod 1960s felt helmet hat

Mod 1960s felt helmet hat

When the hat arrived in America, Nicole set about the task of designing an outfit to go with it. She created this gorgeous dress, which she has named after me! Awww! I'm a dress!

Manic Pop Arrow dress mod sixties style

And I couldn't have a cuter dress named in my honour. Don't you just love the buttons and the arrow and everything about it? I do.

Manic Pop Arrow dress mod sixties style

1960s style millinery helmet hat with arrow

I had such an amazing time doing this, and I'm so pleased with the results. I hope there are many more creative collaborations in my future, including more Tanith Rowan - Manic Pop crossovers.

Vintage sixties style helmet hat and dress

Vintage 1960s style helmet hat and dress

Nicole's has written a blog post about our collaboration too, with more pictures. I also recommend looking at her other dress designs. My favourites are the Petra dress and Trafalgar dress. You should also check out the Manic Pop etsy shop and Manic Pop on facebook.
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Oh my word, this is over-the-moon awesome!!! Hands down, bar none, this really must be my favourite reproduction 60s look I've ever seen. I kid you not! The colours and general sense of youthful joy are just a sheer delight to behold.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel priveleged to have been a part of it. It is certainly joyous!

      Delete
  2. Oh man! I can't believe I never commented on this! Thanks so much for collaborating with me on this! I especially love your sketches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! It was so much fun :)

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig