Tuesday 9 June 2015

A Pink Straw Boater Hat and Vintage Cherries


One of the reasons I started my "How to Wear..." series with boater hats (along with finding such great inspiring images to use), was that I was working on completing my own boater hat.


I started this hand-sewn straw braid boater an embarrassingly long time ago, at the 2014 International Millinery Forum, in a class with (my favourite) millinery teacher Jan Wutkowski. Indecision about the finishing details and trims meant this one was on the shelf all that while. I'm so glad it's finally done!


And I really love it! It was a lot of work, but totally worth it, and I really want to start another one now. I'll add it to the list...*sigh*


For trims I've gone with some vintage millinery cherries that I've been itching to use, velvet leaves (a current obsession of mine!) and a black braid band.


Modelled by the stunning Lucy at our perfect Blue Mountains lookout location. We had so much fun exploring the many similar-but-subtly-different background options with all the different hats (more to come!).


It was also great to try the hat at different angles. I love the look of the forward tilt, but I think for everyday wearability I would be going with the back of the head. What do you think?


This happy summery number has gone into my etsy shop today.

If I do get to another one anytime soon, I'm thinking of a robin's egg blue. What do you think? What other colours do you think would suit the boater style? I'd love to hear your opinions in the comments.
SHARE:

21 comments

  1. Wow, this is gorgeous! I love all the detail in the spiral pattern of the hat, it's so pretty. The pink color is really unusual, and looks lovely with her dress. I think I prefer the front tilt, but I do see how for wearing purposes back of the head makes more sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do like the classic straw boater but different colours are a lot of fun.

      Delete
  2. reall cute! Ive neve seen a pink boater before very clever summery take

    retro roiver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't know that I've seen a pink one either, except among the many many bright colours in the class as we made them!

      Delete
  3. It's so darling! Love it! Wonderful colour, love the cherries, so different. Marvelous job, congrats!

    Liz :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! I am thoroughly obsessed with straw hats right now, I wish I knew how to make them! It can be really hard to find straw braid or caplines here in the US though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving straw at the moment too! Mostly I have been reblocking straw hats I find second hand, but the braid (although VERY time consuming) is a lot of fun. Jan is in the US, so if you ever get the opportunity, take a class with her!

      Delete
  5. Apart from the pink, it makes me think of Kirsten's straw summer hat that she wore with the blue and white striped dress. I adore it, and Lucy looks fabulous too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! You are right! Black ribbon and cherries :) It's amazing how much they have influenced my style without my realising it!!

      Delete
    2. I should just give up and *purposefully* dress like Kirsten.

      Delete
    3. You would look nice in her winter woollens

      Delete
    4. That would be my top pick too :)

      Delete
  6. That is such a strikingly beautiful and incredibly sweet hat. Loving cherries, the colour red, and straw hats and I'm smitten with it to say the least! :)

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It combines a lot of my favourite things too! I'm glad you like it :)

      Delete
  7. The color of this hat! Amazing work Tanith, this boater is really two kinds of perfect ~ both in color palette and in styling. Boaters really are my first love ~ they got me wearing hats, and I'll always love how they look. ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fabulous colour, isn't it? Thank you for the compliment :)

      Delete
  8. Yummy! This looks so pretty. I think the blue colour you mentioned would be fabulous too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning work! This hat is so beautiful dear Tanith :-) Oh my Gosh!

    Beta xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Beta! It is so lovely to hear from you again :)

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig