Tuesday 4 November 2014

Custom Maternity Dress by Manic Pop

Earlier in the year I did a collaboration with Nicole, designer at Manic Pop. I sent her a hat designed for her, and she designed and made a dress to go with it.


I love so many of her dress designs, and this one, named the Tanith Arrow Dress, is probably now my favourite! I was very tempted to get one for myself.

By the time we finished our collaboration, however, I was pregnant, and sensible enough not to order a dress that I wouldn't fit into for a while, if ever, since I don't know what size I would return to after the baby, or when that might happen!

So I asked Nicole if she would make me a maternity dress, and she jumped at the challenge. We exchanged ideas, she sent sketches, we played with colour palettes, and here is the result, my lovely custom-designed maternity dress!



This is at about 37 weeks. This dress is a maternity variation on her sunrise panel dress. With stretch knit fabrics and plenty of room in the skirt, it has been comfortable and stylish all the way through to the ginormous end!



With subdued colours, it worked beautifully in winter with dark leggings and boots, and now is translating into our very warm spring thanks to the light and cool fabric.


The idea was that I would design and make a hat to go with it, but it didn't happen. So I finally got around to doing a photoshoot without a hat and with a couple of vintage hats.


This one featured in one of my 1950s photoshoots, but I think it is comfortably suited to the 1960s-modern look of this dress, as well as a great colour match! In fact, ridiculously matchy!



This one I picked up for $10 at the end of a market on a whim, because I thought it had a cool trim. I wasn't really sure what to do with it, but it goes beautifully with this dress!



It definitely needs the hair-pulled back style to work. Luckily I could sort of get my hair back by this stage! It doesn't like to stay that way, unfortunately.


This last one is a special pose. It immediately precedes me saying "Hold on. I've just seen the scariest bug in the universe." I think it was some kind of wasp.


Thanks a million to Nicole for making me this awesome dress! Maybe next time I will actually get around to making a hat to go with it (but maybe not).
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. Tanith, your dress is super lovely!! I love those colors on you, and I adore how you've styled it with the hats.
    And you're 'hold on is that a frikin wasp' face is the same I make, but you look sassier doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) (It really was a massive wasp!)

      Delete
  2. Love this, Tanith! Thanks for letting me make you a dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are of course very welcome! Hehe. I do really love it!

      Delete
  3. Your white hat and navy bow look so fabulous with that dress ~ very, very Jackie Kennedy!

    Plus, love the out take shot; teehee! You look like you're all "Hooooold it! Hoooold it! Make sure you get my good side!" :) ♡

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tanith you look so lovely with that dress and hat! The dress looks super comfortable and has a really nice color combination. Oh my goodness, I can't believe how close you are from meeting your baby! I get super excited by that :)

    Have a wonderful time,
    Beta xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She has turned out to be quite perfect :)

      Delete
  5. Lovely dress, I like the colours. The white hat really suits it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look so darling it just makes me smile. I love the hat with that dress, the hat was just waiting for that dress to enter your wardrobe.

    She Knits in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It does seem that way. The hat was such an impulse buy, that I hadn't worn since I got it, and then there it was!

      Delete
  7. This is so cute I can't even stand it. All of these looks are adorable, although "hold on, is that a wasp?!" is probably the best unintentional posing I've ever seen. Love the dress, and love the hats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe. It was funny, because he just kept taking the photos and I had to explain myself! I think he thought I was posing :)

      Delete
  8. What a fabulously cute, comfy, lovely looking dress! Royal/dark blue is especially beautiful on you, sweet gal.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was very fortunate to have such a great dress made for me :)

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig